- The players did some fitness today before playing short sided games
- Ross LaBauex was one of the top performers in the fitness drills.
- Andy Lorei is still training with the team. So far, the coaching staff likes what they see.
- Nick Cardenas is on a one week trial with the Rapids. Cardenas, a Colorado native, was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2010 Superdraft by the Kansas City Wizards. He’s a 6’5 center defender out of San Diego State University. He scored 10 goals for the Aztecs mainly off of set pieces. He was named First Team All-Pac 10 in 2009 and was the 2006 Pac 10 Freshman of the Year. He also spent a little time with the US U20’s. He looked ok at training today, he’s a big guy.
- Marvell Wynne wasn’t at training he’s back in Toronto getting his things.
- Colin Clark is looking sharper.
- Jaime Smith still has a sore hamstring but the staff is hoping he’ll train at full speed later this week.
- Oscar Murillo has some great skill but bad habits. I think Coach Smith wants him to simplify his game a little.
- Baudet is healthy.
- Kimura and Cummings, as always, were the last two players to leave training.
- The Rapids face the Chicago Fire in their home opener this Saturday, April 3 at 2pm.
- Coach Smith and Paul Bravo have reiterated their desire to bring in an attacking or creative player.
It is easy to see that morale is good at the moment. The win on Friday was their first win since September 5th and I know it must be a relief to get back to winning ways.
Although everyone is happy with the win, the coaching staff knows the team has more to offer. Coach Smith is still waiting to get the best out of players like Larentwoicz, Mastroeni, and Clark. All three missed a large portion of preseason with injury. Baudet and Smith are shaking of their injuries and hoping to debut this weekend against Chicago. Newcomers, LaBauex, Earls, and Akpan are still finding their feet at the professional level. In addition, the staff knows they are missing a creative player up top or on the wings.
The Rapids aren’t there yet, but they are taking steps forward. Hopefully the team peaks at the right time and they end this playoffs drought.