Written: by Eric Fulton – Pictures by: Various
What an interesting and exciting year it has been. As it comes to an end, lets take a look back at this truly kick-ass year. Things are happening in Colorado Soccer and FC Denver is playing a role in it.
- We finished our inaugural season of PASL-Premier Semi-Pro Indoor soccer with a second place finish in the Rocky Mountain Division. It was a legitimate success from a operational and branding viewpoint. Our players got a brand new opportunity to play top-level ball, and we vastly improved our name identification in the Denver Metro soccer market. Basically, going from “well known in Colorado Adult Amateur soccer circles” to “Known in Colorado Soccer Circles.”
- We went out to Las Vegas for the Silver Mug Invitational Tournament in February for our third year in a row and did absolutely craptastic! If memory serves, our women lost their games and our men won one game. The tourney director took care of us after our last game and set us up with free beers at the main tent. Lessons learned: Switching from Indoor to Outdoor quickly is tough. Team chemistry is always critical. Small plays make a big impact in tournament settings.
- With a combined Premier and United team, we participated and WON the Taos Eco Park Showcase Tournament in March. We beat a few of New Mexico’s top amateur teams.
- Our Spring Outdoor season was the most EPIC season ever! We won 3 League Championships. Our Women won their second ever league championship. Our United won the D2 crown, and our Over-30 Masters Team won our first ever O-30 championship. It was a season for the ages.
- We hosted our first ever Summer Party in the Park celebration at City Park and had a blast. The Ginn Mill provided a keg for us for the occasion, we survived the weather under our tent (Thanks Kyle!), and had a killer time playing soccer volleyball and small sided pickup. Definitely a memorable day.
- Our Women won their first ever Tournament with their championship win in the Women’s APEX Tournament.
- We won the STATE CUP!!!!! Our biggest achievement of the year. We were the class of the tournament and after a few close calls our boys brought home the hardware. It’s was a historic weekend.
- United did great in the Vail tournament as they finished strong with a good performance in a tie against Rovers in their final game.
- Our Fall season wasn’t quite the rousing success of the Spring, but still solid. Premier was likely the best team in D1 but had a hard time breaking down defenses to get results and went out in semi’s. United had a great first season in D1 and almost made the playoffs. Masters had an up and down season and were up 1-0 in the championship game with 10 minutes left, only to fall in a tough-to-swallow 2-1 loss.
- We kicked off an awesome new club sponsorship with Olé Brazilian Restaurant and Bar with a viewing party for the USA vs Mexico World Cup Qualifier!
- Our End-of-the-Year Awards party at the Ginn Mill was a massive hit with our longest serving member, Geoffrey Thompson, retiring after 8 years of action on the pitch. He was charming in his tuxedo and we recognized and roasted him appropriately.
- We began our second season of PASL-Premier Semi-Pro Indoor play in a big way. Game #1 vs Skyline Eagles saw a packed crowd and a big opening season win.
Be on the lookout in the coming days for the 2014 look ahead at what’s in store for FC Denver!
Thanks for your support!